There’s a new OSHA general industry standard for walking/working surfaces and fall protection. These new rules will cover all permanent places of employment, i.e., contractor shops, garage areas and general facility operations. New fall protection options are now available for employees who perform infrequent and temporary work on low-slope roofs and expect the phase-out of cages and wells for fall protection on fixed ladders over 24 feet.
Most of the rule will become effective 60 days (January 2017) after publication in the Federal Register, but some provisions have delayed effective dates, including:
- Ensuring exposed workers are trained on fall hazards (6 months),
- Ensuring workers who use equipment covered by the final rule are trained (6 months),
- Inspecting and certifying permanent anchorages for rope descent systems (1 year),
- Installing personal fall arrest or ladder safety systems on new fixed ladders over 24 feet and on replacement ladders/ladder sections, including fixed ladders on outdoor advertising structures (2 years),
- Ensuring existing fixed ladders over 24 feet, including those on outdoor advertising structures, are equipped with a cage, well, personal fall arrest system, or ladder safety system (2 years), and
- Replacing cages and wells (used as fall protection) with ladder safety or personal fall arrest systems on all fixed ladders over 24 feet (20 years).
Come learn how these rules affect your business; get up to date and don’t fall behind in compliance.
Students will receive a picture ID card and a copy of the new standard.
Open Class: $175 per person
Private Class: $150 per person for 10 or more
Open Class: $275 per person
Private Class: $235 per person for 10 or more
Next class is February 28, more dates:
Visit www.buildsafe.org to register for an open enrollment class online or to schedule a private class please contact Callie Cordoba, Operations Manager at 708-449-8600x214.